- Student Life
- HPU Website
- Sign Up for Email Updates
By Joanna Georgiev. February 9, 2014 - 8:39 am
My neighbor recently went to the Big Island and brought me back some goodies. Alongside some dipped chocolate Kona beans she gave me what was called Brownie Lava.
It was so delicious that I ate the whole bag in no time.
I did see them on the shelves at Longs, but I decided to experiment and make some myself to give out for Valentines treats this year.
The brittle has the same great taste as a chocolaty brownie, though instead with a crisp cookie crunch.
Lets just say if you’re a crispy corner kind of brownie lover you are going to be in heaven. The best part is that it takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish!
All you need is a box of brownie mix, your favorite brand, I would recommend Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix for a rich flavor or if your watching your figure (or want an excuse to eat a few more pieces) try Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix; that’s what I used.
1. Follow the instructions according to the package.
2. Set oven to 325 F
3. Line a heavy duty baking sheet with either tinfoil or parchment paper…this will ensure that the brownies don’t stick and break off easily when cooled and out of the oven.
4. Pour your batter, the key is think thin…the thinner your layer the crisper the brownie pieces will come out.
5. Before you put into the oven be sure to garnish with sprinkles, chocolate chips, M&Ms….the possibilities are endless!
6. You’ll be able to smell them cooking…check on your goodies at 10 minutes – sometimes it takes up to 15 mins depending on thickness.
7. Let brownies cool completely and break the sheet into pieces. Slip into themed boxes for cute favors and keep a couple pieces for you to snack on!
Trying it yourself? Post your photos on Instagram with the hashtag #kalamalama to share it with the rest of our HPU ohana! Enjoy!
Photos: Joanna Georgiev